The Western Springs Service Club has been your neighborhood pool for 65 years.
The Western Springs Service Club was formed in 1954 and the pool officially opened in summer of 1955. The original, or east pool, was dedicated to Herbert G. Rhoads, the first president who served from 1953-1975. In 1965 the west pool was opened and dedicated to Carl E. Johnson, the first treasurer from 1953-1974. In 1996 both pools including the grounds were renovated with the building of the slides and various amenities.
The pool is served by a board of directors elected by the membership for two year terms. Current board members are:
Our lifeguards are trained in a safety and rescue program called Starguard. This program focuses on five components: prevention strategy, surveillance, response and rescue, emergency care and the work environment. Lifeguards go through a rigorous training program which consists of ten hours both in and out of the water, culminating with a final exam. Throughout the season guards regularly attend in-service training to review skills essential for pool and patron safety.